Before starting any construction project in Thompson, you should check in with our Building and Inspections Department to make sure you have all of the required permits.
Why Do I Need A Building Permit?
Help the City of Thompson keep track of construction and renovations in Thompson. They protect homeowners by ensuring every construction project meets a minimum level of quality and meet all provincial and local requirements, like the Manitoba Building Code and our Zoning By-Law.
Building permits also help us keep track of the big picture in Thompson's development, and how residents and businesses are investing in their properties over time.
When Do I Need A Building Permit?
|Building Permit Required||No Building Permit Required|
- Constructing a new building;
- Any additions to an existing building;
- Building construction exceeding $10,000 in costs; including roof repairs;
- Projects receiving assistance from the Home Renovation Tax Assistance (HRTA) Program (Manitoba Hydro Loans);
- A detached building (garage, storage sheds, gazebos, etc.) with a floor area over 108ft2 / 10m2
- Decks, sunrooms, porches;
- Temporary or permanent business sign ( Freestanding or affixed to buildings);
- Enclosing an existing deck;
- Finishing previously unfinished spaces in a home such as basement developments, attics, etc;
- Plumbing, electrical or air-conditioning systems;
- Foundation repairs;
- Hot tubs, pools, or any device capable of holding over 2 ft / 600mm of water;
- Wheelchair ramps or barrier-free accessibility;
- Demolition or removal of all or portions of a building;
- Patching, painting or decorating;
- Replacing stucco, siding or shingles with same material;
- Replacing doors and windows when the opening is not altered;
- Installing cabinets and shelves;
- Detached accessory storage building not greater than 108ft2 /10m2 in building area;
Although a building permit may not be required, it is still necessary for the construction projects to comply with the current Manitoba Building Code, applicable zoning/development bylaws and requirements.
What Information Do I Need For a Building Permit?
You should have the following information ready when applying for your building permit:
- Intended use (Storage, hobby, house, garage, deck, sunroom, etc.)
- Survey certificate;Designer's name, address & contact information;
- Location of the intended building (site plan) c/w N direction;
- Scaled drawing of all relevant dimensions, including front, rear & side profiles;
- Foundation details;
- Length and width of the building's exterior dimensions;
- Door & window locations;Engineered roof truss/rafter certificates;
- Heating appliances where relevant (make and model)
Building Permits Take Time
The most important thing is to ensure that you have all your documentation and plans/ blue prints in order when you submit your permit application. Some Building permits will require a Development Permit application and or a Variation Application. If this is the case the process will take longer. We encourage you to submit your application well in advance of your project start date.
For additional information regarding building permits, make an appointment with our building inspector:
Phone (204) 677-7953
We're currently in the process of developing online forms for our Inspections and License departments. The Building Permit application below is a test form only, and is not yet officially accepted. Please contact our Building Inspector for the appropriate paperwork until we are ready to accept online forms in full.